Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"We learn as much from illness as health, as much from sorrow as from joy." Pearl S. Buck

Today is one of those glorious October days that tourists come to New England to experience.
Last week we had visitors from Michigan and Ohio here to celebrate Larry's dad's 92nd birthday. It rained.
Today 'tho is bright, sunny with lots of autumnal color.
Yellow. Orange. And red.

After finishing a little desk work, I set out on a morning walk to the beach. Fallen leaves rustling under foot always remind me of childhood. Gay chrysanthumums offer a multi-colored-show in my neighbors gardens.
The ocean surface sparkles. I can see seven miles out from Jenness Beach to the Isles of Shoals. I see a freigher anchored by the Shoals waiting for the tides to change so she can come up the Piscataqua River to Portsmouth Harbor.
Star and Appledore Islands are standing up so clearly on the horizon I can almost knock on the front door of the Oceanic Hotel.
Larry and I were on Star Island in September for a "mid-week retreat ~~~ just before the island was buttoned up for winter.
As I walk, I am reminded of something I learned from Dr. Christiane Northrup about 15 years ago.

How to have a healthy adrenal system.
Dr. Christiane Northrup founded Woman to Woman, an OBG-YN practice in Yarmouth Maine. She was my physician a number of years ago. At that time, she mailed out newsletters to her patients and in one them, she wrote about 4 principles that can give you a healthy, less stressed adrenal system.
Here they are.
Say them to yourself when you feel stressed, worried or anxious.
You know how easy it is to second-guess yourself.
Well, of saying,
"I wish I had"
"If only I had done" say to yourself:
"Whatever I did today, is exactly what had to be done."
"When it begins is always the right time."
"When it's over, it's over."
"Whoever show up are exactly the right people."

Ahhhhhhh. Can't you just feel the release, the letting go of tension. Ahhhhhhh.
Cooking is one of the activities that give me an "ahhhhhhhhhh" kind-of feeling, too. At the end of the work day, it is a creative transition into evening ~~ a letting go of the unfinished business of the day. I love the planning, assembling, mixing and tasting; I am in love with the fragrance of cooking that fills the kitchen.
Today, I am cooking an autumn-weather dinner. After the heat of summer and lots of outdoor grilling, in autumn I always look forward to savoring slow-cooked meals from the oven. The mingling aroma of garlic and onion simmering with wine and fresh herbs is such a treat for the senses. On today's menu is a Daube Provencal with small white onions, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and beef, thyme, red wine, saffron and tiny bit of tomato ~~~ it all works to create a deep mahogony sauce for the tender beef. Daube Provencal? ~~ a fancy name for beef stew. I'll make biscuits, too, I think.
And, for dessert, a homemade pumpkin pie. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No comments: